I know I promised a post yesterday. I am sorry I break promises. Life happens, yunno? But I am here today, even though I wish to be far from here. Not saying I don’t like it here. I do. I really do, but today is a special today. Today is my dad’s birthday. Even though I had hope he would live to see this day, I didn’t think he would. But he did. Barely. He is holding on by a thread. I wish I could be there today to celebrate, but with work and gas being the way it is… it is hard to go up there every week. I wish I could, but I was there last week… and it is getting close to the end of the month. But I hope he feels my love. I hope he understands that he is the most important person in the world to me. I celebrated (kind of) last week when I was up there with him. I baked him an apple pie that he slept through and never ate, but I talked to him. I told him all the things I had been dying to say. I told him how proud of him I am, for fighting and holding on for so long. I prayed for him and wished there was some way I could take his pain away. Why must he suffer? I hope today he found some relief on his birthday. Not only has he survived another year, but it has almost been a year since he was first diagnosed with cancer. Has a year really almost gone by? In October, he first showed the symptoms. In the beginning of November, he was diagnosed.
A year. It flies by so fast.
Autumn is here and I know in a blink of an eye, it will be snowing. I know people will groan and sputter at that statement… but it is just the fact of life. But Fall is gorgeous. Trees have been starting to change since the end of August, but now it is becoming more frequent. More beautiful.
I also happen to be a huge fan of the flavors Fall brings with them. Apple. Maple. Pumpkin. Currently, I have made an Apple Pie. Caramel Apple Cupcakes (with homemade caramel that came out a lot harder than I wanted it too. Bad Caramel, but very tasty… just not for a frosting…). Pumpkin Cheesecake. And Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies.
I love Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Oh and the pumpkin cheesecake.
But I forgot to get pictures of the pumpkin cheesecake.
For some reason, cheesecake just happens to get eaten before pictures can be taken. I just do not know what is up with that.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies are pretty easy. And delicious. And something about them… it is like a cookie and a cake had a wonderful pumpkiny baby. And it was good.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
3 Cups Flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (or about half of a 15oz can) of pumpkin puree
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt on wax paper or in a medium bowl.
3. Beat butter until smooth, slowly add the granulated sugar. Push down the sides with a spatula. Add the brown sugar and mix thoroughly. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg. Add in the vanilla and pumpkin. Mix well.
4. Slowly add in the flour mixture while mixer is on low. Mix until altogether. Do not over beat.
5. Scoop the dough with a large spoon (about a tablespoon) and place on non-stick cookie sheets (spray your cookie sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper if you have to.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
7. Let cool on baking sheets for about 5-10 minutes before removing onto a cooling rack. If you handle sooner, they have a tendency to break!
8 Enjoy with a tall glass of milk.
Happy Birthday, Dad. I raise my glass of milk to you. I love you, and I hope you can someday soon escape the horrible pain you are in.
This one is for you.